Tips for the Writing test - Task 2 IELTS

In Task 2 you will be asked to write an essay in response to a point of view, argument or problem. You can use a fairly personal (informal) style. The question may ask you to say why you agree or disagree with the statement in the question or ask you to outline the advantages or disadvantages to a general statement.

It’s best to approach this task with a method to ensure you answer the question correctly, structure it appropriately and have enough time to write well.

Here are some tips to approach the task:

Planning and Organising

Read the question carefully and underline the key words

Decide what structure to use. Most Task 2 questions will ask you to discuss or analyse an issue in terms of advantages/disadvantages and/or take a position by agreeing or disagreeing. This means you can almost always use a four paragraph structure, for example:

Advantages/disadvantages question
- Introduction: paraphrase the question and give a general answer
that will summarise your opinion
- Main paragraph 1: what are the advantages
- Main paragraph 2: what are the disadvantages
- Conclusion: paraphrase your argument and highlight or restate your personal opinion or position on the issue.

Agree / disagree question
- Introduction: paraphrase the question and give a general answer
that will summarise your opinion
- Main paragraph 1: I agree/disagree because … + supporting reasons
- Main paragraph 2: Another reason I agree / disagree is …
- Conclusion: paraphrase your argument and sum up.

Make sure you note down examples and supporting details for each paragraph. Your arguments should also clearly link back to the position you stated in the introduction.

Spend some time thinking of good vocabulary related to your topic. Note it down.
Writing

Start each paragraph with a topic sentence i.e. the general topic of the paragraph.

Develop your ideas in each paragraph by giving reasons for your answer and include examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Keep your examples fairly short. Don’t go into too much detail; make sure you stay on topic.

Try using linking words like ‘firstly, secondly, finally’ to connect your ideas within each of your main paragraphs. This will help your writing to flow.

Yorum yapmak içinOturum Açın yada Kayıt Olun .